Sleep is defined as a natural periodic state of rest for the mind and body, in which the eyes usually close and consciousness is completely or partially lost, so that there is a decrease in bodily movement and responsiveness to external stimuli.
To have a sound and good sleep :-
* Sleep in a room that is dark, quiet, and fresh smelling.Do not expose yourself to bright light while you are sleeping. Light will make your brain stay awake.
* It is important to sleep in a well ventilated room. Don’t be afraid to open a window, even in winter. It is better to put on an extra woolen blanket than to breathe in stale air.
The amount of clean oxygen-rich air that you breath has an effect on your growth. Poor air can cause breathing defects and can prevent you from growing during sleep.
* Sleep with clean, soft, and comfortable clothes. Rough clothing can block the blood circulation and make you shift and turn many times during the night, thus preventing you from deep sleep. Remember your growth hormone can only work well when you fall into deep sleep.
* Keep your hands and feet warm. Scientific studies have shown that warm hands and feet will help induce REM (rapid eye movement) deep sleep. Cold hands and feet will keep you from deep sleep.
* Drink a big glass of water before going to bed and when you wake up; this will help clean out your system. Milk can also help you sleep. It contains an amino acid called
tryptophan, which produces the effect of a sedative. Do not consume any foods or drink that contain caffeine, nicotine,or alcohol at least 4 to 5 hours before going to bed.
Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that will keep you from sleeping. Also, refrain from a large meal at least 3 hours before bed time.
* Doing exercises during the day can help you sleep better at night. , it will increase your blood circulation and quicken your metabolism for a whole day, so you should
perform enough exercise to ensure a good night’s sleep.
* Taking a hot bath before going to bed helps induce deep sleep because it cleans your body and relaxes tense muscles.
* Practice total relaxation and deep breathing for a few minutes before you go to bed. Relax from head to toe. Close your eyes and relax every part of your body. Do complete breathing exercises by following the three phases: (1) Inhale slowly and deeply through the nose for 3 to 5 seconds making sure that your stomach as well as your chest expand.
(2) Hold your breath for another 3 to 5 seconds; tighten
your stomach muscles lightly. (3) Exhale slowly and fully
through the mouth and nose. This breathing exercise will
help balance your blood circulation and get your body ready
* Maintain a habit of sleeping at the same time everyday, including weekends. This will help you develop a regular rhythm for sleep. Your brain will send you a “sleep signals”
at about the same time every day, which can help you fall into deep sleep easier and faster.