It was Matsyendra rishi (saint)who designed and practiced this Asana (Yoga Exercise), and hence its name Masyendrasana. This Asana(Exercise) in its original form is difficult to practice, therefore, it was simplified which is called ‘Ardha Matsyendrasana’. After sufficient practice of this Asana, it becomes possible to practice Matsyendrasana.
Pre position Sitting Position.
How to do the Exercise:
1. Bend the left leg in the knee and place it on the other side of the right knee.
2. Bend the right leg in the knee and fold it fully.
3. Cross the right hand over the left leg and hold its big toe.
4. Turn the shoulders and the neck to the left as much as possible. Encircle the waist by the left hand keeping the palm inside out. Turn the neck also to the left and continue smooth breathing.
1. While taking the right hand over the knee of the left leg, keep the right arm touching the standing knee of the left leg and keep the downward part of the right hand parallel and very close to the knee.
2. The folded left leg is pressed by the right arm in order to twist the trunk to the left. At this point do not try to sit on the fold of the right leg.
3. Keep the folded right leg free.
4. While twisting the trunk to the left, outstrech the chest. Straighten the spinal column and the neck, and then turn to the left as much as possible.
5. This twisting process is further enhanced by encircled left hand round the waist.
6. This turning process is facilitated, if it is done with exhailing. Once the final position is attained, the smooth breathing should continue.
1. Turn the neck and the sight to the front.
2. Restore the hands to their place.
3. Straighten the right leg.
4. Bring the left leg to its place and take the sitting position.
Note: Do this Asana (Exercise) by taking up the right leg with necessary relevant changes in taking and releasing the Asana.(Exercise)
Duration: In whatever form this Asana is taken up, it should be maintained for two minutes on each side. Then, try to have the ideal position and stabilize it for two minutes. After a good deal of practice, it can be kept for five minutes on each side.
Benefits: This is the advanced stage of Vakrasana. Naturally, all the advantages of that Asana(exercise) are experienced more prominently in this Asana(exercise). It has favourable effects on constipation and loss of appetite and digestive system as a whole.
Precaution : Maintaining the Asana with bearable strain, it should be released as stated above. Persons having spinal column complaints, should do this Asana(exercise) after consulting some Yoga Experts.
Reference Book:- Yoga Pravesh