The rose hip and rose haw, is the pomaceous fruit of the rose plant, that typically is red-to-orange, but might be dark purple-to-black in some species.
Rose hips of some species, especially Rosa canina (Dog Rose) and R. majalis, have been used as a source of Vitamin C. Rose hips are commonly used as an herbal tea, often blended with hibiscus and as an oil. They can also be used to make jam, jelly, marmalade and wine. Rose hip soup, “Nyponsoppa”, is especially popular in Sweden. Rhodomel, a type of mead, is made with rose hips.
*Particularly high in Vitamin C, with about 1700–2000 mg per 100 g in the dried product, one of the richest plant sources.
*Rose hips contain vitamins A, D and E, essential fatty acids and antioxidant flavonoids.
*Rose hip powder is a remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
*As an herbal remedy, rose hips are attributed with the ability to prevent urinary bladder infections, and assist in treating dizziness and headaches. Rose hips are also commonly used externally in oil form to restore firmness to skin by nourishing and astringing tissue.
*Brewed into a decoction, can also be used to treat constipation.
*.Rose hips contain a lot of iron, so some women brew rose hip tea during menstruation to make up for the iron that they lose with menses.
Rose hips are the seed pod left after the rose petals fall off. Rose hip tea, recommended because it is so rich in Vitamin C. The oil from rose hips, often called rosa mosqueta, is very nutritious and consists of 80 percent essential fatty acids. It was a mainstay of the Incas, for example, for its nutritional qualities.
Rose hip oil is also renowned for its benefits for the skin. In fact, it has multiple benefits.
It is particularly famous for any scars, including acne scars.
Here are some of the healing aspects rose hip oil is credited with for helping the skin:
*Scars, including acne scars and old scars
*Skin burns, including sunburn
*Rehydrates dry skin
*Repair damaged skin cells of all sorts
*Benefit for dry, mature, aging skin
There are some pure moisturizing creams on the market (Aubrey for one). If you have a specific problem, it would be beneficial to obtain pure rose hip oil and massage two to three drops of the oil into the affected area every day.
Rose hips are used for the creation of herbal tea, jam, jelly, syrup, beverages, pies, bread and marmalade, amongst others.
A few rose species are sometimes grown for the ornamental value of their hips; such as Rosa moyesii, which has prominent large red bottle-shaped fruits.
Rose hips have recently become popular as a healthy treat for pet chinchillas. Chinchillas are unable to manufacture their own Vitamin C, but lack the proper internal organs to process a variety of foods. Rose Hips provide a sugar free, safe way to increase the Vitamin C intake of chinchillas.
Rose hips may also be fed to horses. The dried and powdered form can be fed at a maximum of 1 tablespoon per day to help increase coat condition and help with new hoof growth.
The fine hairs found inside rose hips can be used as itching powder.
Roses may be propagated from hips by removing the seeds from the aril (the outer coating) and sowing just beneath the surface of the soil. Placed in a cold frame or a greenhouse, the seeds take at least three months to germinate.
By indigenous people:
Rose hips were used in many food preparations by the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
Rose hips are used for colds and influenza. The Latin binomial for this herb is Rosa laevigata.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Organic ROSEHIP & COCONUT OIL Face CREAM Cleanser Makeup Remover and Facial Cleanser 100% Chemical Free Rose Cream Cleanser (1 oz) (2 oz) (4 oz) (1 oz) (virgincoconutoiluses.com)
- Joint effort (health.spectator.co.uk)
- Natural Greens Food By Naturo Sciences – Complete Raw Whole Green Food Nutrition with Super Powerful Antioxidants, Vitamins, Minerals with Goji and Acai – Amazing Berry Flavor 8.5oz (240g) 30 Servings (hgifweb2u.com)
- A release for a baby boomer, and a discovery (boomercafe.com)
- February 2016 Vitacost Haul (thegrassskirtblog.com)
- Super Greens Food Supplement By Naturo Sciences the First Complete Green Food To Go Nutrition with Powerful Food Based Multi Vitamins with Amazing Wheat Grass for You Tangerine 8.5oz 30 Servings (darwingreendrinks.com)
- Puritan’s Pride Vitamin Advisor Gives Questionable Advice (sciencebasedmedicine.org)
- Shopaholic Goes Organic (stackstreet.com)
- Cold Weather on The Wet Coast (letissierdesigns.com)
- 17 Anti-Valentine’s Day Gifts For Cupid Haters (inventorspot.com)