Products from Amazon.com
Price: $6.79Was: $10.49
Price: $12.99Was: $17.99
Price: Check on Amazon
The Alliance for Natural Health USA is filing a Qualified Health Claim Petition with the FDA for vitamin D. For years, the FDA held that health claims could only be made if there was Significant Scientific Agreement (SSA) about the claim — a standard almost impossible to reach in science. Following court losses, the Agency finally acknowledged that consumers benefit from more information.
…..CLICK & SEE
As a result, the agency has established interim procedures whereby “qualified” health claims can be made, so long as the claims are not misleading.
According to the Alliance for Natural Health:
“It means that if the FDA accepts our petition, producers and sellers of vitamin D will be able to make certain specific claims about its ability to treat certain diseases or conditions.”
In the event you decide to supplement, vitamin D3 is 87 percent more potent at raising vitamin D blood levels than vitamin D2, according to a new study. Vitamin D3 also produces a 2- to 3-fold increase over D2 in the storage of the vitamin.
Scientists gave 33 healthy adults 50,000 International Units (IU) of either vitamin D2 or D3 each week for a total of 12 weeks. About 17 percent of the D3 ingested was stored by the subjects, and the rest was consumed or metabolized.
According to the study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism:
“Given its greater potency and lower cost, D3 should be the preferred treatment option when correcting vitamin D deficiency.”
You should also be aware that if you use strong sunscreen, it can lead to vitamin D deficiency. Take the case of Tyler Attrill, a 12-year-old girl whose condition came to light when she failed to recover properly from surgery.
According to BBC News:
“Tyler Attrill used factor 50 cream which, according to her consultant, could have deprived her of the essential vitamin and caused the bone disease rickets.”
The condition, which is likely shared by many others, caused Tyler pain for a number of years before it was diagnosed.
Posted By Dr. Mercola.Feb 10. 2011
- Essential Vitamins for Digestive Health (everydayhealth.com)
- The Truth About Vtiamin D: Why You Need Vitamin D (webmd.com)
- Choice pours scorn on ‘expensive lolly waters’ (theage.com.au)
- Sprung: nutrient waters full of sugar (theage.com.au)
- The Benefits of Vitamin D for Children (everydayhealth.com)
- What is the best kind of vitamins for kids? (zocdoc.com)
- Extra Calcium, Vitamin D No Bone Booster for Men (nlm.nih.gov)
- Vitamin Pills Unnecessary-Researchers. (ramanan50.wordpress.com)
- 90 percent of Americans are nutrient deficient, but processed milk is not the answer (gracemedeirosmj.wordpress.com)
- Ontario nixes funding for vitamin D tests (theglobeandmail.com)