Your eyes are a unique window into health. Yahoo Health has assembled a list of 14 things your eyes can tell you about your entire body.
Some of them are mentioned below:-
*Disappearing eyebrows : When the outer third of your eyebrow starts to disappear on its own, this is a common sign of thyroid disease.
*A stye that won’t go away : If it doesn’t clear up in three months, or keeps recurring in the same location, it could be a rare cancer called sebaceous gland carcinoma.
*Burning eyes, blurry vision while using a computer : This is the result of “computer vision syndrome” (CVS). The eyestrain is partly caused by the lack of contrast on a computer screen, and the extra work involved in focusing on pixels.
*A small blind spot in your vision, with shimmering lights or a wavy line : A migraine aura produces this disturbed vision. It may or may not be accompanied by a headache.
*Whites of the eye turned yellowish : This is known as jaundice. It appears in either newborns with immature liver function, or adults with problems of the liver, gallbladder, or bile ducts.
*Eyes that seem to bulge : The most common cause of protruding eyes is hyperthyroidism, which is overactivity of the thyroid gland.
*Sudden double vision, dim vision, or loss of vision : These are the visual warning signs of stroke.
*Blurred vision in a diabetic : Diabetics are at increased risk for several eye problems, but the most common is diabetic retinopathy, in which diabetes affects the circulatory system of the eye. It’s the leading cause of blindness in American adults.
For the rest of the list, click on the link below.
Sources: Yahoo Health February 3, 2011
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Do all Diabetics Get it? (professionaleyeassociates.wordpress.com)
- Organ-Specific Autoimmune Disorders (everydayhealth.com)
- Diabetes (atreasurechestofresources.wordpress.com)
- Diabetes and Eye Health (everydayhealth.com)
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk (diabetes.webmd.com)
- Thyroid Disease and Goiter (analuzcastro.wordpress.com)
- Signs and Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy (brighthub.com)
- Diabetes shortens life, study confirms (ctv.ca)
- Body six phenomenons – disease big signal (womenhealthlife.wordpress.com)
- Diabetes and Your Eye Health (everydayhealth.com)