A study has linked soy formula given to babies with uterine fibroids in adults. Uterine fibroids are tumors of the uterus that can cause pelvic pain, vaginal bleeding, and fertility problems. Uterine fibroids are the leading cause of hysterectomy.
Twenty thousand women participated in the study. They were asked whether they had ever been diagnosed with uterine fibroids, and were also asked about a variety or early childhood exposures including whether they had been fed soy formula.
According to Baby Gooroo:
“Women who were fed soy formula as babies were 25 percent more likely to develop uterine fibroids … The link between uterine fibroids and soy formula is thought to be a response to the isoflavones (naturally occurring estrogen-like substances) in soy, and in particular, the high exposure at an early age in women given soy formula during infancy.”
Sources: Baby Gooroo February 4, 2010
- Why Did I Get Fibroids After Menopause? (everydayhealth.com)
- What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids? (zocdoc.com)
- Free Yourself From Fibroid Pain (everydayhealth.com)
- Is fatigue associated with uterine fibroids? (zocdoc.com)
- Top Ten Things You Need To Know About Fibroids (livingwithfibroids.wordpress.com)
- Fibroids Miracle Book Review (untreatableonline.com)
- Fibroids: a Womans Dilemma (onlinelinks.wordpress.com)
- Fibroids cause women’s lower urinary tract problems: uterine fibroid embolization helps (physorg.com)