Study participants with reduced levels of vitamin D had increased arterial stiffness and vascular function impairment. However, among those whose vitamin D levels were normalized over a six month period, vascular health improved and blood pressure measurements declined.
Science Newsline Reports:
“The results add to evidence that lack of vitamin D can lead to impaired vascular health, contributing to high blood pressure and the risk of cardiovascular disease.”
In related news, researchers have also found that high level of vitamin D could be protective against the development of early age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of vision loss in adults.
In women younger than 75, those who had 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations lower than 38 nanomoles per liter were more likely to have age-related macular degeneration than women with concentrations greater than 38 nanomoles per liter.
*Science Newsline April 4, 2011
*Archives of Ophthalmology April 2011; 129(4): 481-489
*MSNBC April 27, 2011
*Science Daily March 21, 2011
*Journal of General Internal Medicine April 21, 2011 [Epub ahead of print]
*Diabetes Care May 2011;34(5):1133-8
*Journal of General Internal Medicine March 15, 2011 [Epub ahead of print]
Posted By Dr. Mercola | April 30 2011
- Vitamin D levels associated with age-related macular degeneration (biosingularity.wordpress.com)
- High Vitamin D levels ‘may prevent age-related vision loss’ (news.bioscholar.com)
- Vitamin D levels associated with age-related macular degeneration (eurekalert.org)
- Vitamin D Levels May Affect Macular Degeneration Risk (webmd.com)
- High levels of vitamin D appear to lower risk of age-related macular degeneration in young women (eurekalert.org)
- Vitamin D unlocks racial differences in blood pressure (eurekalert.org)
- High Vitamin D Levels Reduce Risk Of Developing Age-Related Macular Degeneration Among Women Younger Than 75 (medicalnewstoday.com)
- High Levels Of Vitamin D Appear To Be Associated With Lower Risk Of Age-Related Macular Degeneration In Young Women (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Good Foods for Eye Health (webmd.com)
- A company’s two drugs – at way different price points – tied in a study on treating macular degeneration (philly.com)