In May, advocates of a ban gathered enough voter signatures to put the measure on the city’s ballot.
They described the sacred rite for Jews and Muslims as “genital mutilation”.
The measure, which qualified in May for a spot on the ballot, would have made circumcision of a minor boy punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 (£612) fine.
The US federal government already bans female circumcision.
Source :BBC NEWS : 28 July 2011
- Judge blocks circumcision ban bid (bbc.co.uk)
- Circumcision ban pulled from San Francisco ballot (theprovince.com)
- Proposed circumcision ban ordered off San Francisco ballot – Reuters (news.google.com)
- Circumcision Ban Won’t Be Popping Up on November Ballot (sfist.com)
- Judge Chops SF Anti-Circumcision Bill, Parents Free To Mutilate Kids (queerty.com)
- Judge strikes circumcision ban from SF ballot (msnbc.msn.com)
- Your Circumcision Rights Are Safe [San Francisco] (gawker.com)
- Judge orders circumcision ban off SF ballot (seattletimes.nwsource.com)