Botanical Name ; Carya tomentosa
Species: C. tomentosa
Common Names:Mockernut hickory, mockernut, white hickory, whiteheart hickory, hognut, bullnut
Habitat :Carya tomentosa is native to about the eastern 1/2 of the United States. Grows in oak-hickory and oak-pine forests
Tree to 20 m (60 ft) tall and 50 cm (18 in) diameter, with rounded crown. Bark hard and gray, becoming irregularly furrowed into narrow forking ridges on older trunks and branches. Twigs thick, brown,hairy, with large half-round leaf scars. The single terminal bud is usually very large, and is covered by overlapping gray-hairy scales. Leaves alternate, pinnately compound, 20-50 cm (8-20 in) long, with a hairy rachis. Leaflets 7 or 9, elliptical or lanceolate, 5-20 cm (2-8 in) long, acuminate, finely serrate, shiny dark green above, paler and densely hairy below, usually gland-dotted and aromatic. Flowers catkins appearing in the early Spring. Fruits elliptical or pear-shaped, 4-5 cm (1.6-2 in) long, with a thick husk splitting to release a single large thick-shelled edible seed.
The inner bark has been used as a dressing for cuts and has also been chewed to treat sore mouths.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Speaking of Graphisurus… (beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com)
- Pecan Oil (faithamour.wordpress.com)
- Do long-lived crops differ from annual crops in their genetic response to human domestication? (eurekalert.org)
- Can You Identify These Oblong Green Nuts? (fragmentsfromfloyd.com)
- Hey Ladies! Does your man have a hairy back? (jeffzelaya.com)
- Foliage Followup – August 2011 (allandrewsplants.wordpress.com)
- The Second Season (easternshoregardener.com)
- Graphisurus triangulifer in Missouri (beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com)
- Can hickory nuts and hulls be used in grill for flavor (wiki.answers.com)
- Hickory Bread – Valnøddebrød (roybelle.wordpress.com)