Synonyms: Baccharis viminea, B. glutinosa
Common Names :Mule fat,Seepwillow or Water-wally.
Baccharis salicifolia is a Perennial, Evergreen and dioecious shrub, growing up to 10 feet (3 m) , but usually less.This is a large bush with sticky foliage which bears plentiful small, fuzzy, pink or red-tinged white flowers. The long pointed leaves may be toothed. It is most common near water sources.
You may click to see various poctures of Baccharis salicifolia
The seeds are fluffy with a feathery, white pappus. The leaves are sticky, dark green, lanceolate in shape, variably toothed, and up to 6 inches (15 cm) long.
Leaves were used in a hair wash solution to prevent baldness. A decoction of leaves and stems was used in as an women’s hygienic agent. An infusion of leaves was used as an eyewash. The tea is drunk for hay fever, sinusitis and frontal headaches. The herb is boiled into a disinfecting wash to clean and dress wounds. It also is mildly anesthetic to cuts and wounds.
Baccharis salicifolia is a Butterfly Plant – The flowers attract butterflies, especially Queen (Danaus gilippus) butterflies. This plant is a good addition to butterfly gardens (if you are not allergic to it), and plants may be available from native plant nurseries.
Known Hazards: Allergenic – The pollen is an allergen.
Disclaimer:The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider
- Cycloalexy in tortoise beetle larvae (beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com)
- Plant List and Preliminary Design (matilijasyh.com)
- “Ringing” in the New Year! (smallhousebiggarden.wordpress.com)
- Persicaria amphibia (findmeacure.com)
- Asclepias incarnata (findmeacure.com)
- Crafty Caterpillars Mimic Each Other to Avoid Predators (livescience.com)
- Salix exigua (findmeacure.com)
- The Story of the Butterfly (ayannanahmias.com)
- Salix purpurea (findmeacure.com)
- Sorbus aria (findmeacure.com)