Products from Amazon.com
Common Names : Corydalis cava,Bird in the Bush
Bulbous corydalis is a highly poisonous herbaceous perennial plant with a large, hollow, globose underground tuber with wiry roots. The stem is erect and bears two biternate lobed leaves, bluish-green below and light green above. The flowers are irregularly shaped, violet or white in colour, and arranged in a solitary terminal raceme. The upper petal is drawn out into a long apically curved spur.
Flowers are densely clustered up the stem reaching around 15 cms or occasionally up to 20 cms high. These are tubular and tend to have a small amount of white in them, the main colour is strong purple/violet. Foliage is the usual ferny and soft green being very deeply dissected.
Plant Width : 10 in – 12 in
Bloom Season : Mid Spring – Late Spring
Foliage Color : Blue, Gray
Zone : 6 – 9
Additional Characteristics: Bloom First Year, Butterfly Lovers, Easy Care Plants, Fragrance, Free Bloomer, Repeat Bloomer, Season Extenders
Preferred Conditions to grow well: Moist, well drained soil
Bulbous Carydalis has been used as a vermifuge in the past. The tubers are used medicinally. When dried they have a strong aroma and bitter taste. They contain alkaloids, the most important being corydaline and bulbocapnine. Bulbocpnine has antispasmodic, sedative and hallucinogenic properties. It lowers the blood pressure and inhibits the contractions of striated muscles. In some countries it is used in preparations to treat Parkinson’s disease and other serious neurological disorders, vertigo and muscular tremors. Bulbocapnine is also beneficial before and after treatment with anesthetics. The root has traditionally been used to lower pain and strengthen the circulation.
Disclaimer : The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Hardy cyclamen: Its delicate appearance hides its toughness (csmonitor.com)
- Marah fabaceus (findmeacure.com)
- Carolyn’s Shade Gardens 2012 Calendar (carolynsshadegardens.com)
- How was bulbous [Vicki (The Property Mermaid) Wusche] (ecademy.com)
- Stratiotes aloides (findmeacure.com)
- Asphodelus albus (findmeacure.com)
- Let’s Talk “Fennel” (texasbounty.wordpress.com)
- Gift Guide: Gifts From Around the Globe (craftzine.com)
- The Best Dream Ever (thesandytongue.wordpress.com)
- Veronica americana (findmeacure.com)