Products from Amazon.com
Price: $9.23Was: $11.99
Synonyms: B. campestris autumnalis. B. rapa campestris. (L.)Clapham.
Common Name : Wild Turnip
Habitat : Brassica rapa campestris is native to Europe – Mediterranean. Naturalized in Britain. It grows on the river banks, arable and waste land.
Brassica rapa campestris is an annual plant growing to 0.8 m (2ft 7in).
It is hardy to zone (UK) 7 and is not frost tender. It is in flower from May to August. The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Bees, self.The plant is self-fertile.
Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils, prefers well-drained soil and can grow in heavy clay soil. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils and can grow in very alkaline soils.
It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It prefers moist
Succeeds in full sun in a well-drained fertile preferably alkaline soil. Succeeds in any reasonable soil but prefers one on the heavy side. Tolerates a pH in the range 4.8 to 8.3. This is the wild form of the turnip with a non-tuberous tap-root. It is closely related to the cultivated forms that are grown for their edible oil-bearing seeds.
Seed – sow spring or autumn in situ.
Leaves – raw or cooked. A strong radish/cabbage flavour. An edible oil is obtained from the seed, it is best when cold pressed. Some varieties are rich in erucic acid which can be harmful.
Medicinal Uses: The tuberous roots and seeds are considered to be antiscorbutic. A rather strange report, the leaves are much more likely to contain reasonable quantities of vitamin C than the roots or seeds.
Other Uses:…Oil; Oil…..The seed contains up to 45% of a semi-drying oil. It is used as a lubricant, luminant and in soap making
Disclaimer : The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplement, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Seed Project 2016 (culturalorganology.wordpress.com)
- Home Grown: Fire wood must be kept dry, stacked for air circulation (macombdaily.com)
- DONG Energy Invests In New UK Bio Plant (cleantechnica.com)
- Hepatica americana (findmeacure.com)
- Methods Beyond the Population (methodsblog.wordpress.com)
- Nissan urges UK to remain in the EU (thetimes.co.uk)
- Bargain Hunt star in Trowbridge charity antique roadshow (wiltshiretimes.co.uk)
- EDF Energy wins multi-million pound supply contract (energylivenews.com)
- UK-based car parts maker Delphi to invest in Novi Sad (inserbia.info)
- EDF extends production from four UK nuclear power stations (itv.com)