Botanical Name:Balanites aegyptica (L.) Delile ( Balanitaceae)
Syn : Balanites roxburghii Planch, B. aegyptica var. roxburghii Duthie.
English names: Desert date, Soapberry tree, Thorn tree.
Sanskrit name: Ingudi.
Vernacular names: Ben and Hin : Hingan; Mar: Hinganbet; Tam: Nanjunda; Tel: Gari.
Description:Spiny tree, about 6 m high; branches glabrous or puberulous and ending in very strong ascending spines; leaves alternate, bifoliate, ashy green, leaflets coriaceous; cymes axillary, 4- to 10-flowered; flowers green, velvety pubescent; fruits ovoid, about 5 cm in length, fleshy drupes, 1-seeded; seed oily but exalbuminou8.
Flowering: November, also during February to May; Fruiting: Winter.
Ecology and cultivation: Xerophyte, found chiefly on black cotton soil; does not thrive in rocky areas.
Chemical contents: Plant: diosgenin and yamogenin; Root: steroidal sapogenin, diosgenin, yamogenin; Stem-bark: steroidal sapogenin, nitrogen glucoside, sesquiterpene, balanitol, bergapten; Leaf: 6 diosgenin glucosides; Fruit: steroidal sapogenin, yamogenin, 5 diosgenin glycerides, 6 diosgenin glucosides, diosgenin, balanitisins A, B, C, D & E; Seed: a saponin of diosgenin, non-edible fatty oil.
Medicinal uses : TRIBES OF PANCH MAHAL (Maharashtra) and RURAL FOLK: Bark, Leaf, Fruit and Seed: as anthelmintic and purgative; Fruit: in boils, leucoderma and other skin diseases; Fruit-pulp: in whooping cough.
Modern uses: Plant: cytotoxic and antitumour principle isolated; Bark: bactericide; EtOH (50%) extract of bark: spasmolytic; Seed-kernel oil: antimicrobial, useful in burns and ulcers, spermicidal.
Other Uses: Fruit-pulp is edible and used for cleansing silk and cotton. Fruit-shell is used in fire-cracker industry. Wood is chiefly used for making walking sticks and as fuel.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider
- Fruit of the Week – Lychee (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Monster Monday: Sorcerous Soapberry from Kobold Quarterly (koboldquarterly.com)
- ?2012 – A year of Unceasing Fruitfulness! (uzzensherah.wordpress.com)
- Trees Are known By It’s Fruit (shirlblake.org)
- How many vegetables grow on trees (wiki.answers.com)
- Amazing Fruits (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Foraging 2.0: Grafting Fruit-Bearing Branches To Neutered City Trees (sfist.com)
- Is a raw tomato a fruit or veggie (wiki.answers.com)
- Almond Encrusted Chicken with Lemon Yogurt Sauce (nourishednutrition.com)