[amazon_link asins=’1592337619,B06XR527WG,B000GOUZKU,1451660847,B01KCS88N0,B0759WL67L,B018HA3CW2,B074N7XZQV,B00NTC0E4S’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’64e42032-912c-11e7-80d2-2736d9583032′]
Cutting down on carbohydrates may slow prostate tumour growth, according to a study conducted on animals.
prostate cancer,” said Stephen Freedland, urologist at the Duke Prostate Centre and lead investigator on this study.
“Previous work here and elsewhere has shown that a diet light in carbohydrates could slow tumour growth. But the animals in those studies also lost weight and because we know that weight loss can restrict the amount of energy feeding tumours. We weren’t able to tell just how big an impact the pure carbohydrate restriction was having until now,” Freedland added.
Animals in the study were fed one of three diets: a very high fat/no carbohydrate diet, a low-fat/high carbohydrate diet and a high fat/moderate-carbohydrate diet, which is most similar to the diet most Americans eat, Freedland said.
They were then injected with prostate tumours at the same time.
“The mice that were fed a no-carbohydrate diet experienced a 40-50 percent prolonged survival over the other mice,” Freedland said.
Mice on the no-carbohydrate diet consumed more calories in order to keep body weights consistent with mice on the other study arms. “We found that carbohydrate restriction without energy restriction – or weight loss – does indeed result in tumour growth delay,” he said.
Sources: The Times Of India
Related articles by Zemanta
- Fundamentals of the Atkins diet (weightlossnutrition.org)
- Dr. Dean Ornish: All Calories Are Not the Same! (huffingtonpost.com)
- Low Carb Diet Secrets – Research Proven (slideshare.net)
- Low-carb? Low-fat? Study finds calories count more (huffingtonpost.com)
- Bad Science: The Low Fat vs Low Carb Debate (diabetesupdate.blogspot.com)
- High-protein diet trumps low-fat for weight-loss effectiveness: study (nationalpost.com)
- How to Reverse Fatty Liver (diabetesupdate.blogspot.com)