[amazon_link asins=’B003VKR0EU,B0081XPTBS,B01KQ9DNV2,B06WLH9LQF,B009HXJMHI,B003VKR0HM,B013IL9LMU,B00CE8MWO8,B00KQCE1Y8′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’5ac8b388-ac3b-11e7-810b-9dd832c37f49′]
Although artificial human milk is regulated by the FDA, researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that a thyroid-affecting chemical used in rocket fuel contaminated 15 brands of powdered infant formula — including two that accounted for 87 percent of market share in 2000. The top offenders included Similac and Enfamil.
The International Formula Council blamed the perchlorate on the water used to make the formula rather than the powder. However, pre-mixed liquid formulas come with their own potential toxins, such as the chemical BPA.
And in China, 76 tons of melamine-tainted milk products were recently seized, just two years after melamine-adulterated formula killed six infants and hospitalized thousands more.
Mother Jones reports:
“For all these reasons the American Academy of Pediatrics remains less than sanguine about infant formula, recommending exclusive breastfeeding for six months and continued nursing ‘until at least the baby’s first birthday.’ Indeed, they credit mother’s milk with everything from breast cancer risk reduction to obesity prevention.”
Source: Mother Jones July 12, 2010
Related articles by Zemanta
- Which Infant Formulas Contain Secret Toxic Chemicals? (motherjones.com)
- Why Would Moms Not Want to Breastfeed? (livescience.com)
- UN food safety meeting sets limit amount of melamine in food and feed (foxnews.com)
- UN food safety meeting sets melamine limit (dailycaller.com)
- Gisele Bundchen Makes Controversial Statements on Breastfeeding and Making It A “Law” (thefashionablehousewife.com)
- UN food safety meeting sets melamine limit (sfgate.com)
- Breastfeeding; The Eco-Friendly Way to Feed Your Baby (gogreenstreet.com)
- China is at it Again: Melamine Found in Baby Formula (friendseat.com)
- Melamine limits set by world food group (cbc.ca)