[amazon_link asins=’B00I0ZGOZM,B00HRHHFPW,B01G01T6NO,B003XELTTG,B01G0VIUJU,B00SGGT14Q,B01M0UZUTA,B01N7T81JZ,B00FZ2HAY2′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1a54cf71-2ce8-11e7-9418-5755786deeba’]
According to a report in Science Daily, a new Canadian study shows that children exposed to high concentrations of manganese in drinking water performed worse on tests of intellectual functioning than children with lower exposures.
CLICK & SEE
The results were published in an article in Environmental Health Perspectives.
While manganese is naturally occurring in soil and groundwater around the world, some of Canada’s groundwater contains an unusually high amount of it, giving the researchers an opportunity to study whether excessive manganese can adversely affect human health.
“We found significant deficits in the intelligence quotient (IQ) of children exposed to higher concentration of manganese in drinking water,” said lead author Maryse Bouchard.
Yet, some areas where lower IQs were reported also registered concentrations below current guidelines. In response to the study, some of the affected municipalities have already decided to install special filtration systems.
Click to see :
*Manganese in Drinking Water Can Lower Kids’ IQs by 6 Points :
Science Daily September 23, 2010
Environmental Health Perspectives September 7, 2010; [Epub ahead of print]
- Excess manganese stunts child IQ – study (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Manganese in water affects IQ in children: Study (canada.com)
- Manganese in water tied to low kids’ IQ (cbc.ca)
- Manganese in drinking water can lower kids’ IQ (mnn.com)
- Children’s Intellectual Abilities Affected By Manganese In Drinking Water (neurosciencenews.com)
- You: Manganese in Children’s Drinking Water Lowers IQ (psychcentral.com)
- Manganese in drinking water: Study suggests adverse effects on children’s intellectual abilities (eurekalert.org)
- Manganese in Water Tied to Low Child IQs and Should be Studied in Connection with Autism Disorders (autisminnb.blogspot.com)