Aspartame, also known as Nutrasweet and Equal, is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined.
The artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K has been linked to kidney tumors. All artificial sweeteners are bad news.
2.High Fructose Corn Syrup
High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) increases your LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels and contributes to the development of diabetes.
3.Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
MSG is used as a flavor enhancer. It is an excitotoxin, a substance that overexcites cells to the point of damage or death.
Numerous studies show that trans fat increases LDL cholesterol levels and increases your risk of heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.
5.Common Food Dyes
Artificial colorings may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ.
This is a preservative used in processed foods. People who are sulfite sensitive can experience headaches, breathing problems, and rashes. In severe cases, sulfites can actually cause death.
7.Sodium Nitrate/Sodium Nitrite
This common preservative has been linked to various types of cancer.
8.BHA and BHT
Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydrozyttoluene (BHT) are preservatives that affect the neurological system of your brain, alter behavior and have the potential to cause cancer.
Sulphur additives are toxic and in the U.S., they have been prohibited in raw fruit and vegetables. Adverse reactions include bronchial problems, low blood pressure, and anaphylactic shock.
This additive is used to increase volume in some breads. It is known to cause cancer in animals, and even small amounts can create problems for humans.
Source: Food Matters November 24, 2010
Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 17 2010
- Types of Food Additives (brighthub.com)
- Are Food Additives Really Safe? (everydayhealth.com)
- Diabetes and Sugar Substitutes (everydayhealth.com)
- High-fructose corn syrup: What are the concerns? (jpropper3.wordpress.com)
- Breaking the Law With High Fructose Corn Syrup (flyingpenguin.com)
- How Additives Affect ADHD (brighthub.com)
- Study Questions Effectiveness of Soda Tax (newsy.com)
- Why is high fructose corn syrup in just about everything we eat? (greenanswers.com)