Botanical Name : Acer glabrum
Common Name ;Maple, Rock
Habitat :Acer glabrum is native to western North America, from southeastern Alaska, British Columbia and western Alberta, east to western Nebraska, and south through Washington, Montana and Colorado to California, Arizona and New Mexico.
DescriptionAcer glabrum is a small tree growing to 10 m tall, with a trunk up to 20–30 cm diameter. The leaves are 2–10 cm broad, three-lobed (rarely five-lobed), variable in the depth of lobing, occasionally so deeply lobed as to be divided into three leaflets; the lobes have an acute apex and a coarsely serrated margin. The flowers are produced in corymbs of five to ten, yellowish-green, at the same time as the new leaves in spring. The fruit is a samara or winged seed. These develop in pairs at an angle of less than 45° when mature.
There are four to six varieties, some of them treated by some authors at the higher rank of subspecies:
*Acer glabrum var. glabrum (syn. subsp. glabrum; Rocky Mountain Maple)– Rocky Mountains, Montana to New Mexico
*Acer glabrum var. diffusum (Greene) Smiley (syn. subsp. diffusum (Greene) A.E.Murray; Rocky Mountain Maple) – eastern *California, Nevada, Utah
*Acer glabrum var. douglasii (Hook.) Dippel (syn. subsp. douglasii (Hook.) Wesm.; Douglas Maple) – Alaska south to Washington and *Idaho
*Acer glabrum var. greenei Keller (Greene’s Maple) – endemic-central California
*Acer glabrum var. neomexicanum (Greene) Kearney & Peebles (syn. subsp. neomexicanum (Greene) A.E.Murray; New Mexico Maple) – New *Mexico
*Acer glabrum var. torreyi (Greene) Smiley (syn. subsp. torreyi (Greene) A.E.Murray; Torrey Maple) – endemic-Northern California
It is sometimes referred to as “rock maple”, due to the extreme hardness of the wood, which often requires special cutting tools. Not to be confused with Acer saccharum, the Sugar Maple, which is also referred to as “Hard Maple” or “Rock Maple” or “Hard Rock Maple”.
Some Plateau Indian tribes drank an infusion of Douglas maple as a treatment for diarrhea. Cut into veneers, layers of rock maple laminate are frequently used in the manufacture of skateboards and the cases of some grand piano brands (most notably instruments produced by Steinway and Sons
A decoction of the wood and bark is said to cure nausea. An infusion of the bark has been used as a cathartic. A decoction of the branches, together with the branches of Amelanchier sp., was used to heal a woman’s insides after childbirth and also to promote lactation. One tribe of southern Vancouver Island used the bark to make an antidote for poisoning.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Acer palmatum ” Atropurpureum” (creativeurbanite.wordpress.com)
- Acer Liquid Express coming soon to Orange (somobile.co.uk)
- Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook ready for pre-orders (slashgear.com)
- Lanci’s Lenovo move ‘negative’ for Acer – Morgan Stanley (go.theregister.com)
- Lenovo grabs ex-Acer CEO for consumer brand push (slashgear.com)
- Acer Aspire 3951 photos leaked, new Ultrabooks to launch in September (engadget.com)
- Adventures in Craigslisting: A Happy Ending (casasugar.com)
- Acer shows off inch-thick Ultrabook Aspire S3 laptop (okphone.wordpress.com)
- If you knew Sushi like I know Sushi… (larrysworkshop.wordpress.com)
- Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook opened up for the FCC, should have showered first (engadget.com)