[amazon_link asins=’B002W90JJY,B00FZW1B3I,B00I32VBD2,B00AJJD2W0,B01AYEHDJM,B00HNKTH0Y,B001LNL0MC,B00GNTW1L8,B00TJ44OGE’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3977821e-6528-11e7-b356-7d868a32eeff’]
The researchers hope that peppermint oil, and other potent essential oils, may soon be wafted in vapour form over food to inhibit bacterial growth.
For the new study, Kloucek and his team looked at several essential oils to determine how well they could, in vapour form, kill the bacteria responsible for Listeria, Staph, E. coli, and Salmonella infections, and more.
The new study is the first to bring forth the antimicrobial activity of two other mint family members –Mentha villosa and Faassen’s catnip -along with another non-mint herb, bluebeard.Moreover, essential oils for horseradish, garlic, hyssop, basil, marjoram, oregano, winter savory, and three types of thyme also showed potent bacteria-busting abilities.
Kloucek said that plant essential oils are lipophilic, i.e. they gravitate towards fat.
“And luckily, in the cell membrane of bacteria, there is plenty of fat, which serves as a seal,” he said.
“Essential oils are attracted to this fat and, as their molecules squeeze in between the fat molecules, they cause leakage of the membrane,” he added.
If foods were treated with essential oils to prevent illness, the obvious problem to overcome is the oils’ potent taste. While strong mint flavour is desirable in a candy cane, it might not work well with other foods. The solution, according to Kloucek and his team, is to carefully match the oil with the food.
The findings have been accepted for publication in the journal Food Control.
Sources: The Times Of India
Related articles by Zemanta
- Peppermint oil ‘better than drugs at treating IBS’
- Peppermint oil, older drugs help treat IBS: review
- Successful IBS Treatment With Peppermint Oil, Antispasmodics, And Fiber
- Study identifies effective irritable bowel syndrome therapies
- Study ID’s effective irritable bowel therapies
- The gut microflora and probiotics can impact stress and behaviour
- Nine Important Ingredients of Herbal Cosmetics
- Peppermint Oil, Fiber Can Fight Irritable Bowel
- Using Peppermint Extract