[amazon_link asins=’B00TSTZQEY,B01FZRK3WW,B01AFRV7KY,B01IS09BT4,B00PYS7R7M,B00QQOERJE’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0e17c2fb-ff55-11e6-84cc-b7047b848048′]
Lavender oil could be used to combat the increasing incidence of antifungal-resistant infections, according to a study published in the Journal of Medical Microbiology. The essential oil shows a potent antifungal effect against strains of fungi responsible for common skin and nail infections.
Scientists tested lavender oil and found it to be lethal to a range of skin-pathogenic strains known as dermatophytes, as well as various species of Candida. Dermatophytes cause infections of the skin, hair and nails, and Candida species can cause mucocutaneous candidosis, also known as thrush.
Science Daily reports:
“Currently, there are relatively few types of antifungal drugs to treat infections and those that are available often have side effects … Essential oils distilled from the Lavandula genus of lavender plants are already used widely, particularly in the food, perfume and cosmetic industries. Studies of the biological activities of these oils suggest Lavandula oils have sedative and antispasmodic properties as well being potent antimicrobials and antioxidants.”
Science Daily February 16, 2011
Journal of Medical Microbiology February 14, 2011
- Lavender oil has potent antifungal effect (eurekalert.org)
- Lavender oil is a powerful antifungal that fights skin conditions. (inmatezero.wordpress.com)
- Lavender oil revealed to be fragrant way to give athlete’s foot the boot (dailymail.co.uk)
- Fit Tip: DIY Spray to Help Keep Germs Away (fitsugar.com)
- The Potent Antifungal Effect Of Lavender Oil (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Air Freshener Gel Jar (pathtogreen.wordpress.com)
- Organic Sprays (witchesofthecraft.wordpress.com)
- Aromatherapy Basics (greenphonebooth.com)
- Lavender Shampoo (faithamour.wordpress.com)