[amazon_link asins=’B013TQ65CS,B00N8C88S8,B015HI5C5M,B073JF7VHB,B072L7KNMZ,B01N00OEJQ,B017LZCYU0,B00PE1SY4Y,0062220845′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a7bef633-e91e-11e7-8d21-f3a179883953′]
Obesity is a growing problem in every corner of the world.
The World Health Organization projects that five years from now, in 2015, the number of overweight adults will increase to 2.3 billion, up from just 1.6 billion five years ago.
click & see
The Global Post lists the world’s top ten fattest countries, as measured by the percentage of the population with a BMI index of more than 25. Most are island nations, but the United States is also on the list.
1.Nauru: 95 percent of the population
Nauruans historically engaged in fattening ceremonies, where young women were kept inside and fed to excess. That legacy, plus the more recent transition to Western-style meals, has been devastating.
2.Micronesia,3. the Cook Islands and
4. Tonga: All three of these island nations weigh in at a 92 percent overweight population.
5.Niue: 84 percent
6.Samoa: 83 percent
7.Palau: 81 percent
8.United States: 79 percent
9.Kiribati: 77 percent
10.Dominica: 76 percent
Other overweight nations include Kuwait and Argentina (75 percent), Mexico (73 percent), Australia (71 percent), Egypt and Greece (70 percent), Belarus (67 percent) and the United Kingdom (66 percent).
Source: Global Post November 22, 2010
Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 08 2010
- World’s Fattest Countries 2010 (PHOTOS): GlobalPost Report (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘The fattest area in the whole of Europe’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Britons fattest in European Union (independent.co.uk)
- Fattest woman’s weight loss race (thesun.co.uk)
- Why folk in Birmingham have the biggest stomachs (dailymail.co.uk)
- Terri Smith: World’s Fattest Woman Told to Lose Weight or Die (blippitt.com)
- Americans are fattest people in developed world (still) (rt.com)
- America’s Neglected Deficit Fattest In First World (forbes.com)
- N.B. is the fattest province: health council (cbc.ca)