Almost every childcare book offers the same advice about a baby’s first solid meal — start them first on rice cereal mixed with breast milk or formula. This has been received wisdom for 60 years.
But there is no scientific basis for this recommendation. None at all. And now, concerned about increasing childhood obesity, some pediatricians want to change how babies eat.
If babies are getting used to the taste of highly processed white rice and flour, it could set them up for a lifetime of bad habits.
USA Today reports:
“White rice — after processing strips away fiber, vitamins and other nutrients — is a ‘nutritional disaster’ … White rice and flour turn to sugar in the body ‘almost instantly,’ … raising blood sugar and insulin levels.”
Every mother need to know:
According to nutrition experts, white rice is the wonder bread of grains, stripped off of most of its nutritional value, including fiber, vitamins and minerals. White rice and white flour turn to sugar almost instantly in our bodies, spiking blood sugar levels.
Brown rice should be chosen by parents, and by building a preference for it from day one, toddlers growing into childhood will come to enjoy brown whole rice in its normal form for many years to come.
Aside from rice, it’s good to get your child used to as many types of veggies and fruit as possible early on, adding a new one to the plate every few days. Good entry points are:
* bananas – choose a ripe, just-about-to-brown banana and mash it well with the back end of a fork til smooth.
* carrot, zucchini, squash – peel, boil in water until soft, the mush with the back end of a fork until smooth.
Click to see : Baby’s first foods till one year old
USA Today December 1, 2010
- Baby’s First Solid Food – What Should it Be? (fooducate.com)
- Don’t feed babies white rice cereal, local pediatrician says (sfgate.com)
- The suprising truth about brown rice (self.com)
- Homemade Baby Food: A Guide to Making and Storing It (webmd.com)
- Around the Green Parenting Web: CPSC & Babywearing, Home Birth, Fluoride Facts, BPA & Infants, Rice Cereal (ecochildsplay.com)
- Carb Confusion (everydayhealth.com)
- Three Letters Re: Enriched White Rice: A Perfect Long-Term Food Item (survivalblog.com)
- How Bad is Rice, Really? (marksdailyapple.com)
- white rice to the rescue! (cathweber.blogspot.com)
- How and Why To Make Homemade Baby Food (babyminding.com)
- Wean Green Glass Cubes Baby Food Containers! (naturemoms.com)
- Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food Kit Review (momblognetwork.com)
- How to make homemade baby food (holykaw.alltop.com)