[amazon_link asins=’B00RUDCUU8,B0716NCYSB,B01MTEYW5M,B01MS9EHK2,B01J7FXZNM,B01HMCCGOQ,B00SPF2AVO’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f2481640-6db8-11e7-b6af-6f796d09cd39′]
Aristolochia grandiflora, or Pelican Flower, is a deciduous vine with enormous flowers that emit an odor that humans consider unpleasant but attractive to insects. The plant is native to the Caribbean, and has been introduced to Florida in the United States as an attractor of butterflies.
This botanical wonder will bloom in spring, summer and fall. These 8″ wide, burgundy and cream patchwork petals will astound you as you gaze into a bull’s eye of red. Upon closer inspection, one is carried through a yawning mouth which leads to an inflated pouch. Hardy to Zone 10 and higher for outdoors.
Click to see & listen :Smithsonian Gardens – Aristolochia grandiflora (Pelican Flower)
It has a number of reported uses in Central America. Contribo can often be seen soaking in a bottle of rum at saloons, since it is taken by the shot for everything from hangovers and flu to amoebas, flatulence, late menstrual periods, and irregular heartbeat. The crushed leaves are sometimes applied as a plaster for skin diseases, as a poultice for snakebite, and as an emmenagogue and treatment for diarrhea.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Aristolochia debilis (findmeacure.com)
- Birthwort (findmeacure.com)
- Aristolochia gigantea (ricarantsandraves.wordpress.com)
- Brickellia grandiflora (findmeacure.com)
- Sunday Selections #13. My Garden. (corymbia.wordpress.com)
- Amazon Lilies – The Delightfully Fragrant Wedding Flower (funflowerfacts.com)
- Arizona poppy (findmeacure.com)
- Polygala amara (findmeacure.com)
- Hydrangea paniculata ‘Great Star’ (allandrewsplants.wordpress.com)
- Baloon Flower (findmeacure.com)