[amazon_link asins=’B004D2DR0Q,B00B81XR1Y,B0030ZEGDY,B00B2FXOX2,B00AEN4QZ8,B004D2826K,B004CDV7EY,B004CDQ73K,B002MSN3QQ’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’finmeacur-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a1b76d0b-2e30-11e7-8dee-273d06ea637f’]
The Environmental Working Group‘s 2011 sunscreen guide can help you determine which sunscreens are unsafe. The group recommends just 20 percent of the 600-plus sport sunscreens it evaluated.
For a product to score high marks, it needed to be free of potentially harmful chemicals. Not surprisingly, their list of products to avoid list contains some popular brands.
According to Yahoo News, companies with sunscreens that scored poorly include Aveeno, Banana Boat, CVS, and Neutrogena. For more information, and to see which products EWG approved, you can click on the Yahoo link below.
Time Magazine also recounts some of the Environmental Working Group‘s advice:
“Avoid oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate. Many effective products contain one or both compounds — oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate — that the EWG specifically suggests avoiding. Oxybenzone is an endocrine disrupter, the EWG says, and retinyl palmitate is a form of topical vitamin A that some animal studies suggest may be linked to an increased risk of skin cancer.”
Yahoo Shine May 24, 2011
Environmental Working Group 2011 Sunscreen Guide
Posted By Dr. Mercola | June 06 2011
- Sunscreen Facts and Fictions: Pediatric Dermatologist Dispels Myths About Sunscreen Safety (prweb.com)
- What’s the Safest Sunscreen? (lewrockwell.com)
- Dermatologists dismiss sunscreen worries (ctv.ca)
- Sunscreen Hall of Shame (flyingpenguin.com)
- Nine Safe Sunscreens for Your Family (healthland.time.com)
- Top Sunscreens, Ranked by Two Consumer Health Groups (healthland.time.com)
- Sunscreens need to protect skin from UVA rays (sfgate.com)
- “Is Your Sunscreen More Harmful Than Being in the Sun?” and related posts (blogs.alternet.org)
- Do Skin Creams Cause Cancer? (health.yahoo.net)
- Sunscreens with Nanoparticles Declared as a Safe Way of Sun Protection (azonano.com)