Products from Amazon.com
Price: $6.99Was: $7.56
Pharmaceutical name: Radix Scutellariae Baicalensis
Latin botanical name:1.Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi. 2.S. amoena C.H. Wright (in Southern part of China) 3.S. viscidula Gge. ( in northeastern China)
Pron. in Japanese: egon
Pron. in Korean: kwanggum
Pron. in Cantonese: wong4 kam4
Common Name: baiscal skullcap root, scutellaria, scute
Other Name: shan cha gen , huang qin cha , tu jin cha gen, tiao qin, ku qin
Habitat :Hebei, Henan, Shanxi, Shandong, Inner Mongolia, Liaoning, Jilin
Properties (characteristics): bitter, cold
Channels (meridians) entered: gallbladder, large intestine, lung, stomach
This is a perinial herb and is one of the most important plants to grow.It is normally grown in the greenhouse in mid-February, and transplant out when they have some size and the danger of frost has passed.They grow long, woody stems that bear incredibly beautiful purple to blue flowers that linger through July and August.
By hand weeding they are kept free of competition and can often spot a self-seeded young one. They don’t seem to be especially long-lived or extremely cold resistant, but they do seem to be drought hardy. A rock gardener’s delight.
Grow specs: 15 inches. Well-drained garden soil. Full sun.
1.(1) (baicalein)1,2,(baicalin)3, (5,6-dihydroxy-7-O-glucoside-flavone)4, (chrysin)5, (5, 7, 2′-trihydroxy-flavone)4,6, (5,
7, 2′, 3′-tetraflavone)6,7, (5, 7, 2′, 6′-tetraflavone)6, 8, (5, 7, 2′-trihydroxy-8-methoxyflavone)1, (oroxylin-A),
(oroxylin-A-glucoronide)3, (5, 7, 2′-trihydroxy-6-methoxyflavone)2, 9, (nor-wogonin)9, (5, 8,
2′-trihydroxy-7-methoxyflavone)5, (Wogonin)10, *-methoxy-5-O-glucoside flavone)11, (8-methoxy-5-O-glucoside flavone)11,
(Wogonoside)3, 5, 7, 2′ (Scutevulin) 4,6, (5, 7, 4′-trihydroxy-8-methoxy flavone)2,8, (5, 7, 2′-trihydroxy-8, 6′-dimethoxy-
flavone)4, (5, 7, 2′, 5′-tetrahydroxy-8, 6′-dimethoxy flavone)4,12, (5-hydroxy-7, 8-dimethoxyflavone)9, (skullcapflavone I),
(skullcapflavone II)13,14, (5, 2′, 6′-trihydroxy-7, 8, -dimethoxy flavone)7, (5, 7,
4′-trihydroxy-6-C-glucoside-8-C-arabinoside flavone)15, (5, 7-dihydroxy-6, 8, 2′, 3′-tetramethoxy-flavone)16, (5,
8-dihydroxy-6, 7-dimethoxyflavone)6,8, (5, 8, 2′-trihydroxy-6, 7-dimethoxyflavone)5, (5, 2′-dihydroxy-6, 7,
8-trimethoxyflavone)6,9, (5, 2′, 5′-trihydroxy-6, 7, 8-trimethoxyflavone)4,6.
(2) (7,2′, 6′-trihydroxy-5-methoxyflavanone)7, (dihydro baicalin)9, (dihydrooroxylin-A)9, (5,7,
(3) (7, 2′, 6′-trihydroxy-5methoxychalcone)7, (2, 6, 2′, 4′-tetrahydroxy-6′-methoxychalcone)7.
(4) (3, 5, 7, 2′, 6′-pentahydroxy flavononol)11.
(5) (3, 5, 7, 2′, 6′-pentahydroxyflavonol)7.
2. [2-(3-hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl) – ethyl-1-O-Î±-L-rhamnostl-(1–>3)-Î²-D- (4-ferulo-yl) -glucoside]15.
4. (acetophenone), [(E) -4-phenyl-3-buten-2-one], (1-phenyl-1, 3-butanedion), (palmitic acid, (oleic acid)17.
5. (glucose), (sucrose), Camphestrol, (stigmasterol), (sitosterol)3, 14, 16.
Medicinal Actions & Indications:
A very important herb in Chinese medicine, Skullcap has been used to purge the fire of a high fever and to dispel heat, expel wetness, stop bleeding and detoxify. It is also said to be soothing to a fetus and helpful in preventing abortion. It has been used for lung inflammation, coughing, high blood pressure, acute dysentery and hepatitis.
1.Clears heat and dries fire, drains dampness, stops bleeding, calms fetus, lower liver yang,
2For jaundice, hypertension, anxiety, headache due to cold or flu, prostate cancer, breast cancer, red eyes and sore throat,
3. Cough and asthma due to heat syndromes.
1. effects on digestive system: Alcohol extract of huang qin or its ingredient baicalin can promote secretion of bile but another ingredient wogonin does not have this effect. Baicalein can promote movements of extra body intestines of rabbits but wogonin does not have this effect. Huang qin possesses a mild diarrhea effect.
2. Anti – histamine effect: alkaloids of huang qin possesses antihistamine effect. It can inhibit edema of rats caused by carrageenin.
3. Anti allergenic effect: alcohol extract of huang qin inhibits acute asthma attack and allergenic eczema. Baicalein has anti-toxin effect, inhibits permeability of capillaries and anti acetylcholine and anti anaphylaxis effects.
4. Broad spectrum antibiotic effect
5. Prevents atherosclerosis
6. Blood thinning effect: one of the ingredients, Oroxylin A, can promote an enzyme to produce nitrogen oxide, a potential for stroke and myocardiac infarction therapy.
7. Anti hepatitis B virus
Cautions: Not to use in case of pixu (spleen deficient) with weak digestion. Avoid using huang qin while on blood thinning medication.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.