Synonyms: Panicum sanguinale Linnaeus, Syntherisma sanguinale (Linnaeus) Dulac
Common Names: Crabgrass, hairy crabgrass or large crabgrass
Habitat :Grows throughout the world.
Description & Uses;
It is an annual grass with an inflorescence of up to nine very long, very thin, radiating branches atop its stems. Each branch is lined with pairs of very tiny spikelets. The inflorescences may be reddish or purplish.
CLICK TO SEE…>....(1).…...(.2).…….…(3)..…….(4).…..…(5)…..
The seeds are edible and have been used as a grain in Germany and especially Poland, where it is sometimes cultivated. This has earned it the name Polish Millet, and it was brought to the United States by some emigrants to serve as hand-foraged grain. The grass is also highly nutritious, especially before the plant exhausts itself producing seed. It is frequently sown in fields to provide graze for animals, or clipped and bundled as hay. Compared to other grasses, it has a relatively high protein percentage. Farmers will sometimes till patches in their pastures in the late spring, with the intent of encouraging crabgrass seed.
For human consumption, crabgrass necessarily must be harvested by hand, because it produces grain throughout summer, rather than simultaneously. Machine harvesting would require monthly passes, and even then much of the seed would go to waste. This said, crabgrass produces an exceptionally high amount of grain, it smothers other weeds, it acts as its own mulch, and it can survive both heat and drought. Its adaptability makes it a candidate for environmental small-farming.
Its usefulness to nineteenth-century homesteaders, however, has made its seed widespread, and today is considered an unattractive nuisance. Crabgrass takes advantage of low fertility and drought, since this tends to weaken other grasses. It is difficult to kill, as it will regenerate, and chemicals will likely harm surrounding grasses. The most efficient means of control is to pull patches, and keep the rest of the lawn watered and mowed at a height of two-three inches.
A decoction of the plant is used in the treatment of gonorrhea. A folk remedy for cataracts and debility, it is also said to be emetic.
The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Acquisition of Digitaria Gives JWT an Avenue for Expansion in NY (nyconvergence.com)
- JWT North America Acquires Award-Winning Digital Agency Digitaria (prweb.com)
- Mia Umanos Skates into Digitaria, Literally (prweb.com)
- Award-Winning Agency Digitaria Acquired by JWT North America (prweb.com)
- Belted Blazers – The Digitaria Fall 2011 Lookbook Blends Menswear Staples With a Muted Palette (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Vitamin B17 preventing cancer Part 3 (fandfvitaminsupplemets.wordpress.com)
- Sorghum (findmeacure.com)
- The Brain: A Body Fit for a Freaky-Big Brain (biosingularity.com)
- Buffalo gourd (findmeacure.com)
- Why You Should Avoid Eating Grains (lewrockwell.com)