Get serious about quitting smoking with this customizable plan.
Fill in the dates of start of plan. Click on the “Print this” option above for a printable version of this form.
1.Start walking thirty minutes every day, no excuses, every day. Start this now. __________________.
2. Fill prescription. Ask your doctor for prescriptions for 100 milligram Wellbutrin tablets, and nicotine patches dosed according to the amount you smoke as indicated below:
For 1/2 a pack a day, take 7-10 milligrams
For 1/2-1 pack a day, take 14 milligrams
For 1-2 packs a day, take 21 or 22 milligrams
For more than 2 packs a day, ask your doctor
3. On ____, (Day 31: two days before you plan to stop smoking, take 1 Wellbutrin (bupropion).
Next two days, take 1 Wellbutrin each morning.
4. Apply your nicotine transdermal patch system on Day 33 (this is your stop smoking day). Place one patch on your arm, chest, or thigh (replace daily).
5. On subsequent days, take Wellbutrin each morning and each evening. Most folks wean off Wellbutrin between days 90 and 180.
Continue walking thirty (to forty-five) minutes each day; feel free to drink as much coffee or water as you wish.
6. Make a chart of your daily activities.
7. Phone or e-mail your support person daily to discuss your progress.
8. Begin weightlifting on Day 37 (___, or earlier). Do not increase your physical activities by more than 10 percent a week.
9. Decrease dose of nicotine in patch every 2 months (you can cut patches in half) until no longer needed.
From “You: The Owner’s Manual” by Michael F. Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D. (HarperResource)