Botanical Name : Schoenocaulon officinale
Synonyms: : Asagraea officinalis (Schecht. & Cham.) Lindl., Helonias officinalis D. Don, Sabadilla officinarum Brandt, Veratrum officinale Schlecht. & Cham., Veratrum sabadilla Retz.
Common Name: Sabadilla
Habitat : Schoenocaulon officinale is native to Southern United States & Peru.It grows on brushy or grassy slopes, usually in pine or oak forest, mostly in rather dry and exposed places, sometimes on moist or wet slopes, chiefly at elevations of 500 – 2,000 metres.
Schoenocaulon officinale is a perennial flowering plant growing up to 1 metre tall from an underground bulb.
The plant is used locally as an insecticide. The seed has been widely used in the past as a means of ridding the body of both internal and external parasites – large quantities of the seeds used to be exported from Venezuela to Europe
Propagation: By seeds
Rarely used internally now. It is occasionally used in combination with other herbs to treat rheumatism and gout. It has been used in homeopathic medicine in cases of hysteria, headache, and migraine, Externally, in the form of extracts, sabadilla has been employed mainly to remove head lice. Veratria is useful as an ointment in rheumatism and neuralgia, but is regarded as being less valuable than aconite. The ointment is also employed for the destruction of pedicule. Applied to unbroken skin it produces tingling and numbness, followed by coldness and anaesthesia. Given subcutaneously, it causes violent pain and irritation, in addition to the symptoms following an internal dose.
Other Uses: The seeds are used as an insecticide. They contain veratrin
Known Hazards: The seeds contain alkaloids that are poisonous
Disclaimer : The information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplement, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.
- Venezuela Just Exported Another 11 Tonnes Of Official Gold Reserves To Switzerland (theeventchronicle.com)
- Venezuela Exported Another 12t Of its Official Gold Reserves To Switzerland In February (bullionstar.com)
- Maduro Meets with Fidel Castro in Cuba, Renews Bilateral Cooperation Agenda (venezuelasolidarity.co.uk)
- Venezuela Just Exported Another 11 Tonnes Of Official Gold Reserves To Switzerland (silverdoctors.com)
- Henry Hobhouse, author – obituary (telegraph.co.uk)
- Maduro Meets with Fidel Castro in Cuba, Renews Bilateral Cooperation Agenda (venezuelanalysis.com)
- Can Urban Gardens Help a Hungry Nation? (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Doomsday Vault holds key to surviving post-apocalyptic world “Photo” (canadajournal.net)
- West Brom: Baggies ace eyeing Europe (clubcall.com)
- France Minister of Interior Accuses Darknet Markets of Assisting Terrorists (newsbtc.com)